Information given to Susan J Leavitt in 1997
One of my early memories of Veyo was actually at the number three power plant when Aunt Belle and Uncle Vaughn lived there. Evelyn and I had stayed over for a day or two. We caught buckets of frogs from the creek and played in our swimming suits the next day till we were all blistered. I don't know if LaVerne was
burned or not butAlice had big blisters,
I had little blisters and Maurine and Evelyn weren't far behind.
burned or not but
I had little blisters and Maurine and Evelyn weren't far behind.
I remember another time we visited them at "the plant". I was younger then and was awed at their electric space heater and their refrigerator with a big round tub like thing on top. I was fresh off the farm and such things were amazing!
One time we were headed for Veyo in our milk wagon van for the 4th of July celebration. Mother had made a lot of root beer and put it in 2 quart fruit jars. The road was not oiled in those days and had a few more than its share of bumps so the root beer had a thorough shaking causing it to break the bottles and flood the van. I think we stopped at least three times to clean up the mess.
Fourth of July at Veyo was always the best fun. I remember the races out in front of Grandpa and Grandma's place. That was one of the few days we could have money for treats. The store was only a half block from Grandma's or Aunt Belle's. That was great. We didn't have to even be escorted, of course, there may have been those who would have thought we should have been.
Sometimes Evelyn and I were permitted to stay in Veyo for a few days after the big celebration. I remember Uncle Vaughn hiring us kids to weed the garden -- so much $ for a row. That was great. It meant more money for candy and ice cream cones! Then there was one time when I slept between Aunt Emily and Aunt Hazel. The covers were stretched above me and were too tight to pull down against me.
One time I went to Ox Valley with Grandma and Uncles Leo and Ken. I picked and ate raspberries and broke out in the biggest batch of hives you ever saw. I still can't eat fresh raspberries -- frozen, yes, but fresh, NO!
I'm not sure if it was Leo or Ken who took me for a horse back ride and for an extra thrill he swam the horse across the pond. That proved to be a blessing to me later when I was met with the choice of swimming the high water in the Virgin River to get home or going back toward town and around the long way to get across. I held up my feet and let the horse take a down stream path. She swam a little but didn't scare me cause I knew horses could swim. I had been taught by my uncle!
I remember when Aunt Emily and Uncle Tony were married. They had the reception up at Veyo. Us kids were loaded into the milk delivery van along with a wiener pig, tied in a sack, which was to be a present for the newly weds. Some how in the process of the evening, the pig managed to get away so there was a merry chase to find and capture him!
I was rather small when Aunt Dot and Uncle Charlie were married. The ceremony was performed at Grandpa and Grandma's place and the whole house was full of people, everyone standing and I stood in some little hole amid so many big people but it was exciting.
~by Mary Webb Jones
No comments :
Post a Comment