Daddy Proposes
Grandpa bought a ranch in OX Valley; it is south west of Enterprise, UT. The girls were expected to help do the farming. Uncle Glen was already at the ranch but needed more help to get the crops in. Grandma took Mom and Aunt Verna to Enterprise and on to the road to Ox Valley as far as she could get the car, when the road ended into a trail she let the girls out and said just follow that trail until you come to a cabin that is the ranch. It was already getting evening. The girls started out with purpose and walked and walked with no end in sight, it kept getting darker the trail kept getting longer and they kept getting more tired but there was no cabin in sight. Finally the rounded a little hill and could see a dim light in the distant. They were certainly relieved but it was still a ways to go. When they got there the cabin was really small but they could smell a sage brush fire so they went in. Glen was there almost as happy to see then as they were to see him. The only other person he had seen since he got there was Andrew Seitz who had rented a farm there from Joe Neilson. He was getting his land prepared for planting also.
Way before the sun was up the next morning and the air was so cold it felt like January Glen got us up and he had the horses ready to work. I (Verna) was to be his helper while Lila fixed our meal and kept the cabin clean. Glen asked me which I wanted to do plow or harrow. Plowing looked easier there was a seat on the old sulky plow where I could ride si U chose to begin plowing. The horses seemed to know what to do so we started off in good shape. Before the end of the first round I had forgotten what my fingers felt like. I was so cold I thought I couldn’t hold out much longer. Surly walking behind the harrow would be warmer work. So I offered to change with Glen. He grinned and made the change willingly. Later I came to realize why. AT every step your feet sank in the soft plowed land, dust choked your breath off; but I was warmer. It wasn’t long till we shed our coats. I just wandered along in a daze.
At noon when I staggered into the house I felt half dead until I noticed how clean and warm Lila had made the rough old cabin. We had a delicious hot meal. Lila was a good cook whatever she made was delicious.
One day while Glen and I were working the field I noticed Andrew’s horse up at the cabin. It was about mid-morning. I wondered if he had a breakdown with one of his plows. Then I turned back to my work. When we came to the cabin for dinner, I knew at once that there was something different going on. I noticed Lila’s happy face. Her eyes looked as if someone had put a light behind them. I asked ‘what has happened?’ “Oh , she pondered a minute then went on to say Andrew has asked me to marry him. We have set the date for October 14th.
Susan and Lemuel
No comments :
Post a Comment