Memory of Dorothy (Dot)

A Memory of Aunt Dot
by Susan Jane Leavitt submitted August 2014

The day I met aunt Dot and Uncle charlie was on my wedding day. Grant and I were married in the Los Angeles Temple on August 2, 1969. The only ones that were with us at the temple were my sister and her husband and Aunt Dot and Uncle Charlie. In fact, I actually didn't meet them until after the endowment session and we were waiting for a sealing room. There were 36 marriages that day and we were #36, so we had quite a long time to wait. Aunt Dot was so excited to meet me. she said out of all the brides she saw (36) during the session, she had picked out me to be Grant's bride. Uncle Charlie was one of our witnesses during our sealing. it was special to both Grant and I to have them with us that day.

It was nice when they moved to Utah County in the early 1970's, Grant and I would visit them quite often as we also visited Aunt hazel and Uncle Hal. It was nice to have family to visit and they were always there to support us during baby blessings and baptisms of our children. We appreciated their support and having our children get to know them. Aunt Dot would talk to me often on the phone and would always to being me about her grandchildren because she was so proud of them. She would also talk about how she had just finished scrubbing her floors, dusting and just generally being so tidy. I always would think of her as I'd try to be as tidy as her.

Many of you know that I put together two different recipe books entitled "Leavitt Luscious Recipes." It was Aunt Dot that convinced me to make the original recipe book in 1997. Many thanks to Dot for remember what I suggested ten years previously (in 1987) and getting the "ball" rolling. By creating the recipe book, I became acquainted with many of you through your recipes even if it was mostly by name at first.

No comments :

Post a Comment