Memories of Grandpa and Grandma Leavitt by Dorothy Kay Lytle Hafen

Memories of Grandpa and Grandma Leavitt by Dorothy Kay Lytle Hafen

I loved growing up in the time period that I did. With a very conventional family. Three brothers, Mama, Daddy and a Sister later after I was married. We had time to enjoy spending time with Grandparents and I was blessed to get to stay with Grandma and Grandpa often and learned so many things that have helped me throughout my life.

By the time I was married my family had moved 55 times but mostly somewhere between Mountain Meadows and St. George. No matter where we lived I always wanted to go home with Grandma Leavitt. She had so much patience with me teaching me to hem dish towels from flour sacks on the old treddle sewing machine. I graduated to aprons, table cloths, pillow cases and fancy them with embroidery and cross stitch by hand. Sewing skills really came in handy having three little girls to dress up and a little sister.

Because I was an only girl for my growing up years Mama didn’t think the ranch was the best place for little girls so she would give in and let me stay in Veyo with Grandma. Often we lived in Veyo but I still wanted to be with her at her house. Then when we lived in St. George I would pack my little bag and beg to go home with Grandma.

I remember nights sleeping at the foot of their bed on two chairs made into a bed. Grandpa would let me lie by him on his arm until after the 10:00 pm news. I had two uncles serving in the military and I would lay quietly as the news began with the same familiar sound, dong, dong, dong!! I still hear it occasionally now. They worried about Uncle Leo and Uncle Ken praying for the day they would return home. 

Grandma could do anything, garden, cook, farm, ranch and fix her car. Always in her house dresses, usually with an apron. Never in pants! 

I went fishing with Grandma and Uncle Jim. He loved to fish and had a bad heart so didn’t work all the time. We would go up toward Pinto and while they were fishing I would make necklaces out of the wild rose hips. I loved to eat the fish with hem and fresh spinach and beet greens and beets. Often I would have dinner with Grandma and then go home and have the same thing. Always with good home made bread.

They were very hard working and never seemed to be stressed to a little girl. We would play the old wind up record player, that Steven Leavitt has now I think. I remember well “Samuel Jackson” and some army and marine songs, which doesn’t come to mind now after at least 70 years. 

I remember when Grandpa got sick and I can see him resting on our sofa after going to the Doctor in his bib overalls. It was soon after that that he passed which I do not have a vivid memory of. I know Grandma missed him and had lots of work to do.

I wish life was a little slower so we could spend more time with family and Grandchildren.


No comments :

Post a Comment