Memories of Grandma, Grandpa and other Leavitts

Information given to Susan J Leavitt in 1997
About 1935-36 (I was about nine years old) Grandma took me to Ox Valley with her. As I think back, I'm not sure if she wanted my company or if she thought I should see how life was on the ranch. It seemed like a great distance in the Model A Ford. It must have been evening when we arrived there. The next morning the sun came up in the west (to me!).
After Grandma worked in the field awhile, then went in the little house (shack) and she prepared breakfast. She made pancakes and syrup and insisted I eat all I wanted. (Seems my mother, Belle, didn't ever make enough syrup.) I don't know what she put in the maple syrup, but none has ever tasted so good since.
I spent much time at Grandma and Grandpa's, since we lived right across the street. Grandpa was always so patient, kind and gentle and apparently like a lot of kids around. Grandma was always on the go. Not so patient with kids or Grandpa. I can just hear her say, "Oh good Lordy, Lem." She grumbled at him often, but went about doing things to please him. All their family are "talkers" including me, but I don't remember Grandma saying a lot, (probably didn't have time) so maybe we get it from Grandpa. I like to think I inherited some of Grandma's ways....working quickly, even while grumbling, down to earth attitude, and telling it how it really is!
I'll tell you a story about my favorite aunts (cause I knew them better). One 3rd of July I was over watching Hazel and Emily get ready for the Big Open Air Dance at the Veyo pool. They were in their teens and I was too young to go but I loved watching them get all dolled up. A thunderstorm came up and the lights kept going out. They were crying and carrying on like it was the end of the world. Those dances were one of the highlights of the year. To me they both looked so beautiful, just like movie stars. When I said I was going home, Hazel said, "Oh kid, please stay with us. The lights might go out again!" So here I was, just a kid but tending Hazel and Emily!
Another time I went in the front screened porch of their house where Hazel was lying on her stomach on one of the beds reading a novel (or a True Confessions Magazine!) I liked to hang out with her so I got on the other bed and started eating my apple. Pretty soon Hazel stopped reading and said "Either you quit smacking on that apple or go get me one!" So I went and picked one for her.
My Uncles, Leo and Ken, treated me like their little sister most of the time, unless some of their friends were there, like the Chadburn boys. One day on the front lawn they had a denim camp quilt and if they could catch you, they'd throw it over your head then stand on all the edges....it was like being in a dungeon!! Still have claustrophobia to this day!
Uncle Jim (didn't call him Uncle) left some memories imprinted on my mind. One time he and his buddy, Bunker Huntsman, were going to Enterprise for a dance. Alice Chadburn and I went along. Bunk drove the Model A Ford, Alice sat in middle and I had to sit on Jim's lap. Those cars were not roomy. Jim and Bunk sang cowboy songs from Veyo to Enterprise. No doubt they had a sip of home-brew. They must have sung "The Strawberry Roan" at least fifty times.
~ by Alice Jones Holt Burgess

No comments :

Post a Comment